Stoma Care - Dr. Snita Sinukumar
COLOSTOMY: WHAT IS BEING DONE ?
- There is a disease in your Intestine which needs to be removed along with a part of the intestine.
- A small loop of intestine will be brought out through the abdomen which may be temporary / permanent depending on the site of disease
HOW WILL IT LOOK?
- There is no voluntary over this opening you will have to wear a pouch to collect the stool
- No one will be able to tell that you have the bag unless YOU tell them
CARING FOR YOUR STOMA
- Empty your pouch when it is one – third to half full.
- Change your pouch on a routine basis, before it leaks (Seven days is the maximum recommended life of a bag)
- Avoid creams as they reduce the sticking of the bag.
- Rinse your skin with water, and dry it completely before you apply the new pouch.
- After you apply your skin barrier, hold it against your body for 30 – 60 seconds – the pressure and warmth will help activate the adhesive.
- Use a night drainage system (or get up regularly during the night to empty your pouch)
- Free of irritation
- Look just like the skin elsewhere on your abdomen
- Use a skin barrier
- Pouch that fit properly
- Look carefully at your peristomal skin every time you change the bag.
- Notify us if you develop swelling, redness, or rash
STEPS TO ACCEPTING YOUR STOMA
- You are not alone. There are thousands of general population.
- With a stoma you can shower or bathe just like you did before.
- No need to alter your fluid intake, but we advise adequate water.